Thursday, January 17, 2013

3 Cheese chicken pasta bake

 This is one of the Mr's favorite meals.  It takes a little prep work to get it done.  First cook up some cubed chicken.  If you plan it right you could cook up extra at a different meal and save a bit of time with this one.  I used 2 chicken breasts that I cubed and fried.  I also seasoned the chicken breasts with about a tsp of onion powder and garlic powder.

 When I was just about done cooking the chicken breasts I added 1 tsp each of basil and oregano.  If you want you can add about 1/2 tsp salt. In this family I rarely cook with salt and then people can just add what they like.
 Meanwhile while cooking your chicken bring a pot of water to a boil then add 500g of the noodles of your choice ( they can be white or whole wheat).  I only buy whole wheat.  Boil for 8 minutes.
 At minute 5 of your boil add some cut up fresh spinach leaves.  You can also use frozen spinach if that's what you have.  I used 2 cups fresh if I use frozen I use 1 cup.
 Preheat your oven to 375
 Spray a 9x13 pan
 Drain your noodles and spinach and put it back in the pot.  Then add 1/4 cup of cream cheese. I use low fat but use whatever you'd like.
 Then pour in 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce.  If I have made pasta sauce recently I save enough to do this meal too but in this case I just poured in a can of regular old tomato sauce.
 Then add your chicken and stir it all together.

 Pour it all into your 9x13 pan.
 Add 2 tbsp parmasean cheese on top.
 Then 1/2 cup the cheese of your choice.  I used cheddar today but mozzarella is also really good and so is swiss.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes then serve.

Recipe:
500g penne noodles or any other noodle
2 cups fresh chopped spinach leaves or 1 cup frozen
1 lb chicken cubed (I used 2 chicken breasts)
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
16 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or swiss)
2 tbsp parmasean cheese

Cook chicken with spices until cooked through.  Boil your noodles.  Add the spinach to the noodles to boil.  Drain noodle, spinach mix.  Pour your cream cheese, tomato sauce and spiced chicken into the pot and stir up.  Grease a 9x13 pan and pour that all in then add your cheeses on top.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment